Thursday, November 26, 2009

A "POINTED" TALE

Once upon a time in Britannia, there were three different kinds of creatures with spikes or spines for protection.

There were Hedgehogs . . .


there were Porcupines . . .


and there were Echidnas.


All three groups were given the opportunity to travel the world, explore new places, and see if they would like to settle elsewhere.

The Hedgehogs, after considering the matter, declined the invitation.

The Porcupines and Echidnas, however, agreed enthusiastically.

So off they went.

The first stop, to re-provision the ship, was Canada.

The animals look around as saw beautiful forests and lakes.

"Let's go check it out," said the lead Porcupine. So they did.

When the ship was ready to leave, there wasn't a Porcupine to be found anywhere. So the ship left without them. (Frankly, the Porcupines thought that was just fine.)

After a number of stops, the ship finally reached Australia. The Echidnas looked about. Hot and muggy in some parts, showy mountains in other parts, and a desert in the middle. They were not terribly impressed.

"Where to next?" asked the chief Echidna to the captain. The master of the ship replied, "This is the end of the line, matey."

So, one by one, the Echidnas disembarked.

That's why, to this day, you have Hedgehogs in Britain, Porcupines in North America, and Echidnas in Australia (and thereabouts).

Is this story true?

Don't ask me -- what do I know? I'm just a Bear. The only thing I understand is to stay away from critters with pointy things one them.


(Oh, yes; and see what happens in/to my brain when I take my dog for a walk?)

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Funny! I actually had always wondered that!
Thanks Bear.x

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh...this is so very clever!!!! I love this, Rob!!! I think your walks inspire brilliance!! All the best to you my friend!!! Hugs, Janine

French Fancy... said...

That third little creature has the most amazing look - I wonder if they ever get the odd spine going in the wrong direction.

Hope you are doing well, Rob.

cheshire wife said...

Why spoil it by suggesting that it may not be true? It is a good story!

Tattieweasle said...

Ah but what about the ones in Africa? (Ducks and runs for cover....)

Rob-bear said...

® Natsy: Always happy to add to you vast store of essential knowledge.

® Glad you enjoyed the silliness, Janine.

® FF: I've never an Echidna up close, so I can answer.

® CW: You're right; I probably should have left enough alone. Except Bears really don't like critters with pointy things. Or stinky things like skunks.

® TW: Where's Africa? Is that the place that used to be connected to South America at one time? And what do pointy creatures have to do with ducks?